This Blog post is for all those Buyers who enjoy attending Open Houses in our wonderful City of Thunder Bay, but may be wondering what the proper etiquette for attending Open Houses might be, and as well, for those who might just be in need of a reminder. If you are thinking of hitting a few Open Houses this coming weekend, please remember the following;
- Yes, kindly take your shoes or boots off at the door; this is someones home, and they’ve most likely worked their butts off to make it sparkle for your viewing pleasure.
- Please introduce yourself, and yes, also sign the Open House guest register. Please do use your real name, and yes, contact information is required. Please don’t make me verify that your real name is not actually John Smith, because I will if I have to. My Sellers are counting on me to keep an accurate record of who has been through their home.
- Please ask before you take additional photos or videos- because this is someone’s private home (in many cases), they may not want someone going through and taking additional photographs or video to what is already being advertised.
- Stay focused on the property; it’s not actually appropriate to look at photographs and start a discussion about how you went to school with so and so Seller, or how so and so Seller works with your best friend, or how so and so Seller works at X Company and is being relocated. This is personal information and not to be shared in front of other Open House guests.
- Please proceed through the Open House in a calm fashion; if you have children with you, this is a fantastic opportunity to practice ‘Don’t Touch’ skills.
- Yes, feel free to look, but please, don’t rummage.
- If you possibly can contain yourself, please hold criticism or negative commentary until you leave- we are all trying to stay positive in this world, and nothings worse than being at an Open House while someone is chattering negatively about something that you might genuinely like and appreciate. We are all different.
- Finally, please don’t ask me why the Seller is moving, who they are, and what price they might be willing to take. This is personal information, that can’t actually legally be disclosed to you.
If you remember all of these little pointers, you will be well set to enjoy a wonderful weekend of Open House viewing. Thank you for reading, and Enjoy:) Overall, Open Houses are a fantastic way to familiarize yourself with the local market. That said, if you are seriously in the market to purchase a home, please contact your Agent BEFORE the Open House. Remember- ‘the early bird gets the worm.’